Today we want to go over three things you can do to get your home ready for sale, which are: declutter, depersonalize, and “de-clean.”
Let’s start with decluttering. As a rule of thumb, the best way to declutter your home is by removing one third of the content from every room. In the kitchen, clear off counter spaces and remove magnets and other items from the front of the refrigerator.
Next, it’s time to depersonalize. Doing this will allow potential buyers to imagine themselves in your home. Belongings that are near and dear to your heart, like a bobblehead collection for example, may not be so appealing to buyers with different interests from your own. Here are a few tips on how to make your home feel like a clean slate for potential buyers:
- Make all beds every day.
- Keep all toilet seats down.
- Make sure towels are hung properly.
- Make sure all crumbs are cleaned from counter tops after meals.
- Don't leave dirty clothes on the floor and put all your belongings away.
"Following these three tips will engage your buyers’ senses."
It could be difficult for some buyers to see past niche items or highly personal design choices. Repainting your home with neutral colors is another great way to make your property look more like a clean slate for buyers.
Lastly, remember to “de-clean.” We recommend making use of professional cleaners. Here's a list of cleaning recommendations:
- Carpets professionally cleaned the first week it is on the market.
- Home professionally cleaned every two weeks on Fridays.
- Hire yard crew for cleanup.
- Hire professional window cleaners to clean all windows.
- Hire someone to cut and bag grass each week, as well as pull weeds and trim.
- Empower children to get involved in keeping the house clean. Get them excited about their new room, or the new yard. Perhaps let them buy items for their new room now, and decorate their room to be what they want in their new room.
- Children are like adults. When it is new and they like it, they are more likely to take care of it. Buy a new basketball hoop and tell them that it will go up at the new home.
Following these three tips will engage your buyers’ senses and make for a much more attractive home. This will make your home sell much faster. You can also check out our more comprehensive list of staging tips here.
If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.